Monday 18 July 2011

Visiting my childhood home town - day 1

One of the things that I decided I wanted to do this year was visit where I used to live. I grew up in Leicester and consider myself a Leicester Lass. Little Miss has also said that she wanted to see where I used to play and go to school. So a little trip was planned the other weekend.




St Pancras station, this is one station that Little Miss has never been to. Well her face when we came out of the underground and saw this. When we travel by train I always leave plenty of time and this meant that we could explore St Pancras a bit.




We arrived in Leicester and found our hotel. Then it was off out exploring.




Near to where we were staying was the Jewry Wall. This is the old Roman baths, Little Miss loved this as they had been studying these at school recently.





Beautifully intricate mosaics in a wonderful condition.








Little Miss then became an archaeologist and found the buried treasure.





After that we went for a little explore around the shops.




We felt that this Sylvanian was a bit big to take home!




The clocktower, this area is now pedestrianised a big change since I was last there.




We ended the day with a picnic on the riverbank. Laying back in the grass looking at the beautiful blue sky.


~x~

5 comments:

Alison said...

Sounds like a great day out for you both!
Alison xx

JulieJ said...

I used to live in Leicester so I will be following this. I recently found a photo of the Jewry Wall. It was randomly mixed in with a pile of other photos so I took a while to work out where it was. The mosaic photos weren't with though.
Don't forget to go for a curry on the Golden Mile and to see the dinosaur skeleton in the museum.

Lisa said...

How lovely to go exploring all your old haunts with your daughter. Aren't those mosaics wonderful, surviving so so long.
Lisa x

Mary Poppins said...

What a lovely post and thanks for sharing. I think is so special to share ones own memories with your own children, your memories have now becme Little Miss' memories :)) Hugs x

laura said...

It sounds (and looks) like you had a fab day!

I live near Leicester and don't really notice the sights when out and about in the city.